Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0

On 03/11/2011 03:25 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Jeff Mahoney wrote:

On 03/11/2011 03:03 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Greg KH wrote:

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:37:29PM -0500, Larry Stotler wrote:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Felix Miata
<mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Implement what? I asked here weeks ago where to find a summary of
what that stuff's for and got no response. Why does openSUSE still
do what I need if I boot vanilla instead of desktop or default?
Flicker? Always a non-issue here. Boot time? Who boots a non-test
system except to change kernels?

Server - Never

Boot time for servers do matter for systems where "uptime" is a
measured amount and it matters for service contracts. So reducing
the boot time from 5 minutes to 1 minute means real money for these
providers and is something that everyone should be happy about.

Only if they have an SLA that mandates _severe_ penalties when not
met. Have you studied any decent SLAs recently? They're often not
worth the paper or screen they're written on.

Besides - a 30min outage per annum equates to an uptime of 99.998%.
A boot time reduction from 5 to 1min is unlikely to make much of a
dent in that, IMHO.

Actually, I'd argue that's exactly why quick boot times are important.
Reducing the boot time from 5 mins to 1 min means that there are more
opportunities to schedule maintenance windows and that the system can
be kept patched more easily.

- -Jeff

I surmise that you have probably never worked in an environment with
such SLAs. Boot time is rarely if ever a factor in the evaluation of
risk. The only/best way to keep uptimes of 99.998% or more is
1) to reduce change to an absolute minimum and
2) when at all necessary, make sure changes happen during the planned
30min outage window on Christmas Eve.
Anyone managing an operation with an SLA of 99.998% becomes incredibly
risk-averse and highly resistent to anyoneelses arguments of "but it
boots faster" :-)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that faster boot is not good, I'm
just trying to say that from an openSUSE end-user perspective, it's low
impact.

Not to mention that users with 99.998% service expectations probably
aren't using the community edition unless they're capable of providing
their own support.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney