Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:03:20 +0100
Greg KH wrote:

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:37:29PM -0500, Larry Stotler wrote:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Implement what? I asked here weeks ago where to find a summary of
what that stuff's for and got no response. Why does openSUSE still
do what I need if I boot vanilla instead of desktop or default?
Flicker? Always a non-issue here. Boot time? Who boots a non-test
system except to change kernels?

Server - Never

Boot time for servers do matter for systems where "uptime" is a
measured amount and it matters for service contracts. So reducing the
boot time from 5 minutes to 1 minute means real money for these
providers and is something that everyone should be happy about.

Only if they have an SLA that mandates _severe_ penalties when not met.
Have you studied any decent SLAs recently? They're often not worth the
paper or screen they're written on.

Besides - a 30min outage per annum equates to an uptime of 99.998%. A
boot time reduction from 5 to 1min is unlikely to make much of a dent
in that, IMHO.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.9°C)