Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:37:29PM -0500, Larry Stotler wrote:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Implement what? I asked here weeks ago where to find a summary of what that
stuff's for and got no response. Why does openSUSE still do what I need if I
boot vanilla instead of desktop or default? Flicker? Always a non-issue
here. Boot time? Who boots a non-test system except to change kernels?

Server - Never

Boot time for servers do matter for systems where "uptime" is a measured
amount and it matters for service contracts. So reducing the boot time
from 5 minutes to 1 minute means real money for these providers and is
something that everyone should be happy about.

Desktop - depends(sometimes I lock it up....it IS 100% overclocked :-)

I reboot my desktop far more than my laptop due to kernel development,
so fast boot here is important.

Laptop - Every time I use it.

Boot time is a non issue for me. My laptop is a P3/1Ghz with 512MB
RAM. So, I'm prepared for a slight wait.

Once you get used to it, you will not be :)

Slow boot times that I see are usually caused by not having a network
cord on a system and having the dhcp finally fail out (which can be a
pain with 2 or 3 NICs).

That should not be a gating issue on 11.4 anymore for you.

thanks,

greg k-h