Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:13:42 +0000
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le vendredi 11 mars 2011, à 14:48 +0000, Nelson Marques a écrit :
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le lundi 07 mars 2011, à 19:37 +0100, Kim Leyendecker a écrit :
What´s the technology way we want do for the 11.4 successor?
[...]
* KDE 4.x and GNOME 2.x _and_ GNOME 3.x

I don't think the GNOME team has planned to have both GNOME versions. If
that's something people want to see happen, please show up at the GNOME
team meetings or on opensuse-gnome :-)

I know the 'manpower' point of view, and against that there are no
arguments. On the other side, considering that many people are
throwing knifes at the alternative panels of G3 and stuff...

gnome-panel is still available in GNOME 3 :-) So we can still build a
GNOME 2-like interface with GNOME 3 if we want. Some things will be
different, but I'm pretty sure those wouldn't be that much of a big deal
to most people.

Vincent,

I haven't run GNOME3 with 'nomodeset' to check it out, but there's a
lot of people bullying GNOME3 in Fedora... The panels were one of the
reasons invoked, so that's why I mentioned it... so we don't have to
go through the same.

Well, from my tiny experience with GNOME Shell and GNOME3, I do see
some potential on it, and by not making G2 available we might push
people to be spend more time with shell, I would suppose that would
also increase the number of converts to G3/Gnome-shell. Which honestly
is a very good thing.

Take a look at the Fedora Planet for some insight. If you want I can
compile a small set of links.

NM

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

Nelson Marques

/* As cicatrizes lembram-nos de onde estivemos, mas não ditam para onde vamos */