Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE won't upgrade successfully from 11.3 to 11.4
Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx> writes:

If I search http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade for zypper in
zypper or zypper up zypper I do not find anything. So if that is the
official way of doing things, the SDB article should be kept
up-to-date.

It's a wiki and everyone can change it (and does it). I do not believe
in wikis, though.

I remember that it was part of the article (or its predecessor) yet
since it was removed I thought there was a reason for it.

It's in the history:

14:25, 15 July 2010 Dominian (Talk | contribs) (6,054 bytes)
(Removed 'zypper in zypper' as this was causing issues on systems
noted in #suse on freenode)

And oviously blessed by Hennevogel.

I do not know whether they talked to the developers (I did several
months ago); maybe, things changed in the meantime--but then it would
have been nice to report the changes to the docs team and create an
entry for the release notes...

For me a simple zypper dup worked. Without any conflicts and without any
zypper in zypper or zypper up zypper. I might just have been lucky though.

It works most of the time, but it could fail at any time.

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation