Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE won't upgrade successfully from 11.3 to 11.4
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:38:14 +0100
Am Donnerstag, 10. März 2011, 08:28:37 schrieb Karl Eichwalder:
This is not a workaround. This is how it is documented and it is an
essential requirement to update the package management stack from the
target distribution before starting with "zypper dup". (We actually ask
to run "zypper up zypper" or "zypper in zypper"; see the Reference
guide, Chap. 15.1.4--it is in the docs that way since ages and
developers recently confirmed that it is needed.)

If I search http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade for zypper in zypper or
zypper up zypper I do not find anything. So if that is the official way of
doing things, the SDB article should be kept up-to-date. I remember that it
was part of the article (or its predecessor) yet since it was removed I
thought there was a reason for it.

For me a simple zypper dup worked. Without any conflicts and without any
zypper in zypper or zypper up zypper. I might just have been lucky though.

Sven