Am 07.03.2011 23:08, schrieb Stefan Seyfried:
On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:03:39 +0100
Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A USB connected HP OfficeJet frequently fails completely during printing
because magic USB resets happening during printing. At some point I
identified usblp to make it worse. Since that time I rmmod usblp before
I print anything. Still there are chances that there happens a reset but
with far less risk.

Probably a stupid question, but still:

Did you try a different cable?

Yes, different cable, different USB port. I often got the answer that
it's hardware related but I could not verify that and I still don't
believe it. So why is usblp regularly resetting the USB connection?
Actually I need to create some logging testcases once again with 11.4 to
see if it's still the same and how the error shows up.

And, another thing that I found out more than once: sometimes Hardware is
just broken and fails no matter what OS is driving it. Not saying that
this is the case here but to be considered.

If it hits me too hard I usually fire up a Windows VM in VirtualBox,
connect the printer to the VM and it usually works without any issue.
Probably it was just pure luck as it is the same hardware and the same
kernel. Connecting the printer to a Windows laptop with the same cable
always worked as well.

I still think something in the stack is at fault here.

Wolfgang