On Tuesday 08 March 2011 00:34:02 jdd wrote:

I have an old winmodem not working in Linux. It there a chance that it is
made working if I make a bugreport? Note that the production stopped
about 10 years ago and the manufacturer did not disclose the
specifications.

yes, this is a very good question. We had long time ago a discussion
about for how long a time a hardware have to be supported. ATM nobody
wanted to make a hard limit. May be we should say: "no harware older
than 10 years" will ever be supported, if it works, so good, if it
don't work change it.

May be it could be usefull to have a clear answer (we all, openSUSE
community) of what we need on the subject.

I suspect that if I make a bugreport for this modem, I will get a clear answer
as "won't fix". Otherwise it is unrealistic to expect that somebody will ever
bother to write a driver for a device, whose modern analog costs equivalent
of $10 (in my city) and which was positioned by the manufacturer as
Windows-only (with more expensive models being compatible with Linux).