On 03/07/2011 01:45 PM, Stuart Tanner wrote:

My other gripe is WIFI.

Twice this week I have installed openSUSE on new laptop's and the wifi doesn't
work one didn't work on 11.3, but did work on 11.4 (but you have to install
kernel-firmware). How are you supposed to install kernel-firmware without wifi
in the first place - not everybody has a cable connection, some people have
such things as mobile broadband only and use MyFi devices) yes we say download
it on another machine and rpm -i kernel-firmware.x.rpm but still with the
retail version can't they put selected packman or non-oss rpm's on a non-oss
dvd this would make it much more usable?

Last week was a Broadcom BCM4313, this week its a Realtek RTL8191SE.

Maybe as we reach the end of a distribution its new hardware that hasn't been
tested, but in order to make the distribution sucssed we really need to get
everything working out of the box. Including WIFI.

A lot of us are working very hard to make that true for wifi.

Without network, you must have installed from DVD. Surely, there is a linux-firmware package on that medium. Perhaps Broadcom's unfortunate name change for the 4313 firmware meant that the package was too old. If so, that is unfortunate.

Is there a driver in the kernel for that RTL8191SE? I'm in the process of submitting one for the RTL8192SE that handles some of the 8191SE variations. What is the PCI ID for that card?

Larry