[opensuse-factory] Re: work for the future: why do you still use Windows
On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 20:03:33 +0100
jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le 07/03/2011 19:45, Greg KH a écrit :

What USB hardware does not work on Linux today? I have a bunch of
USB devices that don't work on Windows, should that be an issue the
other way around?

are you kidding?

can you quote me *any car GPS that works (update) on Linux? Garmin
(tomtom), Alerte GPS (http://www.alertegps.com/), navigon?
Can I use my Iphone or my Nokia or my Samsung cell phone?

I don't say it's Linux fault, of course. But I still have to keep
Winwods for that (and even under VirtualBox, not all works)

any and every USB box have a cd with windows drivers (I don't speak
about older devices, but I have a list of windows printers I have near
me (LBP-800 laser)

Heck, we support USB 3.0 on Linux, while no other operating system
does, is that a problem?

yes, right now there are no USB3 devices :-))

Again, specifics are important here, broad general statements like
this fate entry will get no where as they are impossible to address.

We have to open the question. I'm willing to help, that is give as
many infos I have, but I'm not a developper. I also know that the
linux kernel is said to support each and any hardware (I always wonder
in what world live some kernel developpers)

jdd

Hi
I have a Garmin Nuvi 360w that works fine as a GPS device, press and
hold the battery icon and turn on debug mode then plug it in works fine
with a number of Linux applications eg tangogps, QLandkarte

I have just built python-pytrainer on the openSUSE Build Service for
our Garmin Forerunner 305 and that works perfectly via garmintools.

I do use crossover for Garmin Mapsource though ;) The onlything I need
to do is manually edit POI's if I want to add speed data etc, need to
look at creating some sort of POI editor, but I don't do it that often
to justify my time.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.27-0.2-default