Re: [opensuse-factory] systemd (feature #310327)
  • From: Matt Hayes <dominian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:19:10 -0400
On 10/29/2010 11:10 AM, İsmail Dönmez wrote:
Hi;

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

El 29/10/10 11:20, Kay Sievers escribió:
On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 13:46 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
There have been various talks about systemd at the
openSUSE conference and we would like to go forward.

This is a bootchart of systemd-git of today on openSUSE Factory of
today:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~kay/bootchart.png

The box is a 1.5 Ghz laptop with a medium-speed SSD.

Many (default) services are not installed on this box. A default
installation is around ~10 sec instead of the ~6.5 sec here.

While I agree it is very cool to see the system booting faster, is

I agree it's a cool feature, but I question how useful/important it
really is. For a desktop user, the 8-10 seconds saved isn't even time
for a cup of coffee, for a server boot-up time is largely irrelevant.

IMHO 8-10 seconds is long enough to make a difference for desktop.

Regards,
ismail

If its not stable, the boot up time is irrelevant.

I could care less how fast my desktop boots, as long as it functions
properly I'm good. Same with my servers... I'd rather have stability
over a faster boot up time.

-Matt