Re: [opensuse-factory] Moving glib libraries to /lib instead of /usr/lib
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:04:32 +0200
On Tuesday 12 of October 2010 14:39:39 Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi,

Kay requested that we install glib libraries (libglib, libgmodule,
libgthread, libgobject and libgio) in /lib instead of /usr/lib as some
of the early init action will need glib.

Isn't that change triggered by systemd? Afaik it uses glib dekstop file parser
at least.

Regards
Michal Vyskocil

It turns out that glib has a --with-runtime-libdir configure flag that
builds glib in /usr/lib but moves the non-devel libraries (*.so.*) to
the specific director. This would work fine as glib only links to
libraries living in /lib already.

I quickly looked at that and the only downside is that the gio modules
and all the gsettings API (from libgio) cannot be used if /usr is not
available. I don't expect anything to use those during the early stage
of the boot process, so it should be okay.

(Alternatively, we can choose to keep libgio in /usr/lib, but it could
well be used, so...)

Any opinion on this?

Vincent