Re: [opensuse-factory] bad zypper se
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:21:27 +0200
On 10/14/2010 12:15 PM, Jano Kupec wrote:
On 10/13/2010 06:08 PM, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar wrote:

Quoting Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 2010/10/13 17:22 (GMT+0200) Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar
composed:
You all misread this thread I started, which is about zypper se behavior,
ultimately leading to https://features.opensuse.org/310690 . My OP
provides
an URL that explains why I posted on the Factory list.

Absolutely true.. and the correct answer there was already given as
well: zypper currently supports this "only" usin "zypper wp"
(whatprovides).

zypper wp libaa.so.1
=> gives full list of packages providing this capability.

As for the feature request: it's questionable why this should be split
in different runs indeed... (other than time constraints).

If you are specifically looking for providers of some symbol, you want
'wp' (or something like 'search --what-provides'). You don't want zypper
to list packages which have the symbol in names plus the packages which
provide it.

While we're at it, i little poll might be in place before implementing
this in 'search'.

Would you expect/want 'zypper se something' include packages which
mention 'something' in their dependencies
(require/provide/suggest/obsolete/conflict) in the default search
output? Or would you want this to be opt-in (by adding --deps).

My own preference is to stick with search in names only by default (as
it is now), and only consider other stuff for searching
(summaries/descriptions/dependencies/whatever) when requested by
additional options.

We can also make it configurable in zypper.conf.

In fact I'm looking for the reason libcaca and log4c are failing to
build for factory, failing on pdflatex, and rpm -q whatprovides and
zypper wp pdflatex failed to find what provides it. I have texlive and
at least yast could find it with a file search. Zypper could do with a
file search like yast. If nobody else will do it I will make a feature
request, when I have a break in my build service work in a few weeks.
pdflatex comes from. ATM our package managers and rpm can't find a file
in a not installed package and only yast can locate a file in an
installed one. The http://packages.opensuse-community.org/ webpin can't
even tell me which package I can get pdflatex from and it doesn't work
for factory anyway.
Regards
Dave P