Re: [opensuse-factory] bad zypper se
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 03:00:20 +0200
On 10/14/2010 12:15 PM, Jano Kupec wrote:
On 10/13/2010 06:08 PM, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar wrote:

Quoting Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 2010/10/13 17:22 (GMT+0200) Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar
composed:
You all misread this thread I started, which is about zypper se behavior,
ultimately leading to https://features.opensuse.org/310690 . My OP
provides
an URL that explains why I posted on the Factory list.

Absolutely true.. and the correct answer there was already given as
well: zypper currently supports this "only" usin "zypper wp"
(whatprovides).

zypper wp libaa.so.1
=> gives full list of packages providing this capability.

As for the feature request: it's questionable why this should be split
in different runs indeed... (other than time constraints).

If you are specifically looking for providers of some symbol, you want
'wp' (or something like 'search --what-provides'). You don't want zypper
to list packages which have the symbol in names plus the packages which
provide it.

While we're at it, i little poll might be in place before implementing
this in 'search'.

Would you expect/want 'zypper se something' include packages which
mention 'something' in their dependencies
(require/provide/suggest/obsolete/conflict) in the default search
output? Or would you want this to be opt-in (by adding --deps).

My own preference is to stick with search in names only by default (as
it is now), and only consider other stuff for searching
(summaries/descriptions/dependencies/whatever) when requested by
additional options.

We can also make it configurable in zypper.conf.

IMHO the only function missing from zypper and yast is a file search in
uninstalled files ie. if I want to find foo.h and it isn't in any file
installed on my system.
Dave P