Re: [opensuse-factory] patterns-openSUSE-lxde -> openbox
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 01:03:13 -0400
On 2010/10/04 06:24 (GMT+0200) Andrea Florio composed:

Felix Miata composed:

I have a slow old PIII-1000 w/ 384M RAM, and KDE was just getting too slow
and broken to suffer through. So, I used zypper rm to eradicate all *kd*,
then 'zypper in patterns-openSUSE-lxde', then startx. That gave a black
screen and mouse pointer. I thought I had failed to get any WM, but after a
while I tried a right click, and discovered I was in openbox. I quit and went
to look in /etc/sysconfig displaymanager, and found DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm". The
preceding list of possibles has nothing resembling lxde. What should I use? I
tried lxde and lxdm there, but neither changed anything I could tell. How do
I get startx to open LXDE? startlxde|startlxde --help|startxde :0|startlxde
-- :0 all return nothing.

Ncurses yast doesn't seem to have a way to configure the display manager.
There's a Desktop choice in /etc/sysconfig Editor, but I can't figure out a
way to make it do anything.

Is lxdm supposed to look different from xdm? Init 5 gives xdm even though
the pattern installed lxdm.

you have to use the following:

to use lxdm instead of xdm:

/etc/sysconfig/dispalymanager

DISPLAYMANAGER="lxdm"

That's what I tried before starting the thread. Apparently simply changing
the file isn't enough, and whatever it was was handled by the shutdown to
wait on a thread response, then booting to try again.

to run lxde:

/etc/sysconfig/windowmanager

DEFAULT_WM="startlxde"

This is what I missed. Because I normally only use KDE, I often forget WM &
DM are different things. Yet, because they are similar, seems like defining
DISPLAYMANAGER & DEFAULT_WM ought to be handled by one single file in
/etc/sysconfig, maybe xmanagers or similar instead of separate displaymanager
and windowmanager. Anyone else think so?

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/