Re: [opensuse-factory] kdm gives no desktop in 11.4M2
  • From: Roman Bysh <rbtc1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:38:20 -0400
On 10/03/2010 04:03 PM, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
Op 03-10-10 00:47, Roman Bysh schreef:
On 10/02/2010 02:45 PM, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
Hi,

On a system which ran 11.4M1 without problems I upgraded with zypper
up to M2. I got some peculiar results (not all represented in the
subject of this post).

Installation itself went flawlessly, but not so first boot. Grub
presented the boot menu fine, but after choosing the regular M2 I got
nothing but a black screen, and a lot of processor activity, to judge
from the increasing fan speed. So I rebooted and chose the fail safe
version, which booted all right and presented the kdm login screen.
But a few seconds after giving user name and password, the login
screen is presented again.

Rebooting again, I tried the regular version again, and this time it
booted OK. Which it has done ever since, so I cannot reproduce the
initial failure. But the kdm login problem is persistent.

From the messages I find, two seem irregular to me:

kdm[1987]: X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly

which seems rather obvious in this case, and

startpar: forward read: Input/output error

of which I don't know if it has anything to do with the X-problem

By the way, the system on which this is running has also a disk set
containing 11.3 final, which runs without problems, so I would not
think of hardware failure.

I did not find this bug in bugzilla (M2 is even no possibility
there...)

Any clues?

I have submitted bug 643362 for it.

regards, Jogchum

I believe kwin is crashing Xorg. The only way around this problem is to
install priority drivers after installing openSUSE M1.
Next, update to M2, and reinstall the drivers again - due to the kernel
update.

In my case I am using an Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS graphics card.

Cheers!

Roman

Thanks for your reply. But what do you mean by 'priority drivers'? For
as far I know, the nouveau driver was used in both M1 and M2. And, of
course, I would have to reinstall M1 - as a new install, I suppose -
to start the work flow you describe.

regards, Jogchum
You are correct. Install M1 first, install the proprietary drivers,
update the installation. You will get a notice that a link to nvidia is
missing.

This is when you reinstall the drivers. And, voila!. You can boot to M2.

Here's what I did.

So, in my case I have an Nvidia graphics card. So I first blacklisted
"nouveau" using the command

echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf

Next I down the latest driver from nvidia.com. This is followed by
shutdown and reboot to init 3

Install the driver and reboot. Now I would be able to use all of the
effects, 3D etc.

Run the update using the M2 DVD and then install the drivers again.

Good Luck!

Roman