Re: [opensuse-factory] Rescue program on dvd
  • From: Roman Bysh <rbtc1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:25:13 -0400
On 10/03/2010 01:03 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Sunday, 2010-10-03 at 10:32 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:

On Sunday 03 October 2010 07:48:52 Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Sunday, 2010-10-03 at 14:35 +0200, Martin Schlander wrote:

The other option, which was removed, booted the HD system (after asking
which partition had it), but using the kernel in the DVD entirely.
If the
HD had no kernel at all, this option would still boot (with an older
kernel, of course).

Yes, that was lost in attempt to create complete rescue system that
will take
care of any possible problem that is now abandoned altogether.

No, that was dropped two releases earlier. It was an option
independent of the rescue system. You had to boot the installation
system, and at the point of choosing install or upgrade, or
thereabouts, there was another option to boot an installed system.

Above will solve boot loader problem.

Problem with single kernel left after update that doesn't boot should be
solved with multiple kernels available, not with rescue system. That
will
solve problem with broken or non existing initrd too.

No; that's prevention, not solving.

All that is asked is:"Don't burn all bridges, before you are sure
that new one
will stand."
(but that is the problem with distro direction that is discussed in
opensuse-
project ML)

You should have a look "down on the forums". Almost every day there is
someone with an unbootable system. These newcomers ask in the forum,
not in the mail lists. And if devs don't look "down there" they miss a
big part of the picture.

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Yes this is true about it being dropped. I actually found it useful.
But, instead of replacing it with nothing should we not include
something better - more effective?

I've also been helping out on the forums. It can get quite intense and
consuming. If some one is working on an idea, I would be happy to help.
I can't code.
However, I can help out on the testing.

Cheers!

Roman