Re: [opensuse-factory] are all iso images hybrid images?
  • From: Dale Ritchey <mergan14846@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 16:03:59 -0400
On 05/30/2010 08:11 AM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 12:54 +0200, C wrote:

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 23:39, Hans Witvliet wrote:

Hm, well comparing what is on the dvd and on the online installation
tree, there is some discrapancy.
So either one should start distributing the distro on a blu-ray (holds
50G) or ship the box with an USB-stick.

But somehome i've got the distinct feeling that Dl-DD dvd are a bit
cheaper than same-size usb-stick. Could be wrong tho...

Dual layer DVDs might be cheaper than USB stick, but if you have
computers (latops/netbooks etc.) like I do, with no DVD drive at
all.... you can't burn the DVD ISO to DVD.... and even if I did have
the installer on DVD, I can't use it since I don't have a DVD drive
installed in the computer... USB is the only installation medium
choice I have (yes I know I can do a net install, but I'm not always
guaranteed a net connection during the install process... yes I know I
could also go buy an external DVD drive).

Caveat, I do have a DVD burner on one computer... but I haven't used
it in a long long time, and don't have DVD banks to burn to anyway.

My case might be a bit lopsided but... I'm seeing it more and more
with machines I support.... these non-DVD machines are starting to pop
up more and more... and when I'm asked to do an install, USB is often
the only practical choice.

I still don't see a good reason why the DVD ISO isn't a hybrid that
can easily be dropped onto USB like the Live CDs can be. Maybe there
is one... dunno.

C.

If it poses no big problem (read: much extra work) i've nothing against
a hybrid install-dvd.
Though systems that can not boot from dvd, often work with a slow-speed
version of the USB-spec, and a bootable cdrom (netboot) is probably a
better choise...

It would be fun if a live version could hold a local tftp/pxe installer.

And if smaug is correct in empty BD costing just $2, i'll have to go
shopping again: last time i checked they were over 15 euro's a piece,
and only _if_ available. 25G (or 50GB DL) is a lot of space for either
distro smapshot's or backups...

hw

I have tried isohybrid on a net.iso with success
a dvd isohybrid balks untill I enable (f4) installation source and
enable hard disk
I get as far as the installer screen checks the update possibilities
then I get no repositories found

How do I point to the repositoriy on the disk?