Re: [opensuse-factory] are all iso images hybrid images?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 12:54:37 +0200
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 23:39, Hans Witvliet wrote:
Hm, well comparing what is on the dvd and on the online installation
tree, there is some discrapancy.
So either one should start distributing the distro on a blu-ray (holds
50G) or ship the box with an USB-stick.

But somehome i've got the distinct feeling that Dl-DD dvd are a bit
cheaper than same-size usb-stick. Could be wrong tho...

Dual layer DVDs might be cheaper than USB stick, but if you have
computers (latops/netbooks etc.) like I do, with no DVD drive at
all.... you can't burn the DVD ISO to DVD.... and even if I did have
the installer on DVD, I can't use it since I don't have a DVD drive
installed in the computer... USB is the only installation medium
choice I have (yes I know I can do a net install, but I'm not always
guaranteed a net connection during the install process... yes I know I
could also go buy an external DVD drive).

Caveat, I do have a DVD burner on one computer... but I haven't used
it in a long long time, and don't have DVD banks to burn to anyway.

My case might be a bit lopsided but... I'm seeing it more and more
with machines I support.... these non-DVD machines are starting to pop
up more and more... and when I'm asked to do an install, USB is often
the only practical choice.

I still don't see a good reason why the DVD ISO isn't a hybrid that
can easily be dropped onto USB like the Live CDs can be. Maybe there
is one... dunno.

C.