Re: [opensuse-factory] WebM Support?
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 08:01:13 +0200
On 05/27/2010 03:50 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 27/05/10 01:47, Wolfgang Rosenauer escribió:
.
There are bad examples as libpng though where upstream maintainers are
not willing to take extensions for apng.

Well, why not then apng is made a separate library that depends or
libpng or something similar that does not require bundling the full
library into Mozilla ?

Depends on who you ask?

I could probably do that but what is the big win? I know that all
mozilla based apps would use it if I put the work in to build it that
way. So we could share it between probably 3 apps. Does it make a
difference? Why APNG is not a library on top of PNG I don't know and I'm
not going to change that myself.

I wouldn't expect anything like that from Mozilla because they have to
win exactly nothing but more work and uncertainty about their behaviour.

I understand the Unix/Linux philosophy and there is a reason why NSPR
and NSS are separate components because I've driven that in the past.
But every component is an extra decision and we have to find a good
compromise for them and need to check pros and cons carefully.

I don't see too many pros on the apng example right now.

Wolfgang