Re: [opensuse-factory] Any hero for yast2-repair?
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:04:41 +0200
Andreas Jaeger write:
On Thursday 27 May 2010 12:43:03 Martin Schlander wrote:
Torsdag den 27. maj 2010 12:32:42 skrev Stephan Kulow:
I would like to drop yast2-repair from 11.3 as this fails
now for over half a year without anyone interested.

The main problem with this yast module is that it needs someone
who really tests to repair broken setups a lot - and this means
a lot of work and very little reputation, because a repair module
is only used when something is broken and if it works it's taken
for granted and if it fails, it sucks.

As the "fails for 149 days" message on [1] pretty clearly says:
there is no one doing this. So I have two options: finding someone
who loves repairing or drop it _NOW_. So I'm trying the first option
with right this mail, but I need to drop it next week because I need
to adapt the boot menu too.

Greetings, Stephan
[1] https://build.opensuse.org/project/status?project=openSUSE%3AFactory

SLE/Novell really doesn't need this?

Nope.

Personally I'd be happy if there was just a "repair grub" tool.

There's the repair module of the installation media and that's different to
yast2-repair AFAIK,

No, it is not. It use same module. But I think if goal is reduced to repair
bootloader, then it really decrease amount of work ( especially if whole
functionality is moved to yast2 bootloader, so everything what happen is to
start yast2 bootloader with automatic reproposal). But same functionality is
also possible with rescue system and run yast2 bootloader (and click on
repropose).

In general main problem of yast2 repair (which I "maintain") is that it must
reflect all new features in opensuse. It is hard to test and because it is part
of inst-sys then if it not work in final release it is really hard to be
usable. Whole problem is that repair want do it all itself, so changes in other
modules doesn't reflect it. In ideal case repair should change to just call two
methods from other modules - detect problem and repair problem.

Josef

--
Josef Reidinger
YaST team