Re: [opensuse-factory] are all iso images hybrid images?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 09:34:12 +0200
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 06:02, Bernhard M. Wiedemann wrote:
Currently, only the LiveCDs are hybrid
 (check with fdisk -l openSUSE-DVD-Build0625-x86_64.iso ).
For DVD and NET isos you would still have to use the old way, which (in spite
of the wiki saying so) is not all obsolete:
http//en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive

This procedure on the Wiki is needlessly complicated.

DVDs are a dead technology for more and more people these days. DVDs
are going the way of floppy disks. I think it's very short sighted
and rather silly that we are not fully supporting writing the DVD ISO
to USB.

Anyway... the easy/quick way is to use unetbootin. It's an app in the
repos... runs on Linux, Windows etc. You can create a bootable USB
stick with this app in no time at all. All you need is the ISO and a
USB stick. it's a billion times easier than that complicated
procedure on the Wiki. You don't need to use the LiveCDs with
unetbootin.. you can use the DVD ISO.

Matt B. was working on the Kiwi-tools-imagewriter - which makes
writing hybrid ISOs to USB dead easy by the way. I don't know what
happened with that... I haven't had time to follow up on it to see if
it was ever adapted to write the DVD ISO.

I use the unetbootin app all the time. The DVD on USB boots up fine.
At some point in the boot sequence you are dropped out of the nice GUI
installer to the text based installer. The installer asks you what
the boot device is and the root... tell it that you're installing from
hard drive and / for the root and it switches back to the GUI
installer and continues as normal.

C.