Re: [opensuse-factory] WebM Support?
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 07:42:32 +0200
On 05/25/2010 10:18 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 25/05/10 15:40, Cristian Morales Vega escribió:

What's exactly needed?
- Chromium and Firefox? I don't really know, but I expect them to use
xine/gstreamer/whatever for the multimedia support. So, nothing to do?

What is exactly needed is getting browser vendors top stop bundling
$crapload of modified libraries in-tree.

I see both sides.
- They don't want to differ between Linux and other operating system
where they need to ship the libraries anyway.
- They want have the same issues everywhere (supportability)
- They ship in many cases newer stuff than Linux distributions
(e.g. vorbis, theora, cairo) for different (mainly valid) reasons

The "modified" in your sentence is not that extreme.

Wolfgang