Re: [opensuse-factory] WebM Support?
  • From: Robert Kaiser <KaiRo@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 19:50:46 +0200
James Mason schrieb:
I know its late in the game, but it would be *awesome* to ship 11.3
with some built-in support for WebM Media (Google's open-sourced VP8
video + Vorbis audio in a Matroska container)

There are nightly builds for Chrome& Firefox w/ support, a patch for
FFMPEG, and Gstreamer plugins are in development.

https://features.opensuse.org/309589

There is no well-tested and stable decoder or encoder yet, as Google just open-sourced what On2 had, which might be stable enough or not, the time has so far been too short to tell. I doubt anyone besides Google will feel comfortable with shipping that code in a stable release before 11.3 goes gold.

That said, for the parts I know best, in Mozilla land, the code isn't even yet in the edge-of-development Minefield nightlies, it's on an experimental branch right now, work is going on to get it merged to the mainline, but a number of reviews probably still need to happen there. I wouldn't expect it to land in a stable release before Firefox 4, which is only expected in October of November, so I think that will be for the next openSUSE release after 11.3 (might be 12.0 or so).

Robert Kaiser