Re: [opensuse-factory] opensuse 11.3 (m6) and mobile compatibility
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:08:29 +0200
On Wednesday 19 May 2010 09:28:59 Andrea Florio wrote:
Il 19/05/2010 00:26, Greg Freemyer ha scritto:
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Andrea Florio <andrea@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi people, i got today, for the first time, some of the famous usb modem
like huawei ones (and not only). i got them coz i am supposed to write
something about linux compatibility. on suse 11.2 i'm quite happy, after
upgrade usb_modeswitch (from 0.9.6 into OSS to 1.1.2) to latest version
(into hardware OBS repo) i had ALL of them working just plug and play.

i thought that with suse 11.3 it would be even easier... you know, more
recent kernel, more recent packages, more recent everything...
instead...

well instead, not only none of the worked, but looks their support has
been even dropped... usb_modeswitch is not even into factory repo
(why???) so...

the question is... any reason to drop that important hardware support?
someone just forgot to submit requestes or what else?
(i am ready to take care of that package and others needed to provide
that support on suse 11.3, IMHO it's a MUST HAVE)

Regards
Andrea

This was discussed on the os-kernel list last week.

usb_modeswitch is desired, but it was dropped from factory due to the
lack of a maintainer. I don't know if it's too late to get into 11.3
or not.

Greg

ok, i am going to take care of it.. it's too important, not have into
the repo, means we will loose lots of users that will easly move to
ubuntu. i don0t want it, i want suse to be the best distro ever (that's
why i pushed so hard on lxde). do not provide such as important package
is like killing ourselfs

Andrea,

Let me help you with getting it back in factory. I updated it now to the
current version and it's in the hardware project. Does that one work for you?
I'll get you added as maintainer if you tell me your account,

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany