Re: [opensuse-factory] SaX2: Dead or alive ?
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:59:25 +0200

On Monday, 2010-05-17 at 17:15 +0200, Karsten König wrote:
Am Montag, 17. Mai 2010, 16:27:32 schrieb Stefan Dirsch:

Since there hasn't been any single response to this email, this has
happened right now (SR #40156).

that's the usual, people don't want to loose their current workflow
but noone
invests anything into it, it's the same with KDE3, alot of loudmouths
requesting a maintained repository but noone stepped up helping =/

That's not exactly fair. People may be interested but may lack the
knowledge, skills, or time.

What effect has a non functioning sax will be seen once 11.3 is
finally released. Factory has a limited view.

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
Well, installed 609 from 17may just now.
No x.

Ncurses finished the install.

As i did a fresh install, all old kernel settings were gone, so the
crappy vesa x did not work either.
Repair system does not work, i was asked to file a bug against 'yast
repair module'.
The question where to install the 'grub': mbr or bootpartition were both
disabeld.
Do you think a non expert knows what to choose?
Anyway, i must have choosen wrong, as all my other entries were gone.
Had to fire up an old 11.1GM dvd to boot 11.1, as M6/609 did not find
any rootpartitions to boot.
I had to replace the invalid menu.lst to get booted normaly.

How should one be able to test anything, without a gui, in this time?

As i kept my mouth shut during 'the' discussion, thinking: 'we'll see',
and indeed, to throw away sax2, without a *working* alternative, seems
to be as stupid as i thought it was.

For me it becomes too difficult to test this way: loose a lot of time
just to get a working os back to work again, so i'll skip this one.

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball, aka M9.

OS: Linux 2.6.27.19-3.2-default x86_64