Re: [opensuse-factory] Keeping nouveau installed like nv and support the installation of Nvidia proprietary drivers
  • From: Tejas Guruswamy <masterpatricko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 15:45:17 +0100
On 07/05/10 15:36, Roman Bysh wrote:
On 05/06/2010 01:27 PM, Tejas Guruswamy wrote:

On 06/05/10 18:16, Daniele wrote:

Il giovedì 06 maggio 2010, Stefan Dirsch scrisse:
Hi,

Right now, we have an extra step to install the Nvidia drivers in
Milestone 6, including the removal of 'nouveau'.

Why extra step? Simply install the nvidia drivers and you're done.
The priority for driver load in the Xserver is nvidia --> nouveau
--> nv on NVIDIA hardware.

Are you sure ?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2153575&postcount=5
Does not apply to openSUSE ?!
Bye.

It is possible to disable something without completely removing it ...
for kernel modules for example that's what the blacklist modprobe.d file
is for ...

Although blacklist is required, I read that modeset must also be set to
zero.

To blacklist:
echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
Add to kernel command in grub:
nouveau.modeset=0
That's two more steps.
This kinda defeats the purpose of the 1 click install when an Nvidia rpm
is available.

Cheers!

Roman

Indeed it would, except that Stefan in another email on this thread says
The blacklisting during system start and excluding it from initrd will
likely be part of the nvidia RPMs for openSUSE 11.3, which won't be available
before 11.3 has been released.
So hopefully it will all be sorted by the RPM installation. If not, let
devs know ASAP (you can test it from the buildservice already, read
Stefan's mail) so it will be ready for 11.3.

Regards,
Tejas