Re: [opensuse-factory] Firefox won't start
  • From: Richard Creighton <ricreig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 08:55:23 -0400

/usr/bin/firefox: line 128: 10537 Segmentation fault $MOZ_PROGRAM
"$@" rcc@Athelon:~>

Now the squirrel...I have a virtually identical machine int the other
room with similar hardware and also running factory, that works! ...
but NFS won't

Try under a new user, to see if it is your user's configuration that is the
problem.

Thank you Carlos... Fails under ROOT, RICREIG, RCCJ...the latter is new.
Does not fail if I revert to 3.5.9 (I had a type when I reported (2).5.9
earlier...Parkinsons as a result of my stroke <frown>...plus this is reported
by other users in a bugreport (unable to remember the number at the moment-
sorry). Initially closed as "Worksforme", it reopened it as "doesn'tworkfore
everyonedammit" It does work on a MSI mbd but not on my ASUS mbd, but
strangely, I do have an ASUS mbd where it does work with same bios. All
machines have minimum of 2G-4G RAM, all use 1-4TB raid 5 Plux LVM with at
least 6 drives in the system, one machine with 9 drives, all use NFS, none use
Ddoze/SMB. All use VBox when I need/wish other OS's for experimentation.
All running M5/6 have problems with rsyslog (100% cpu usage on 1 core and if
that job killed, then udevd starts running 100% instead which can be killed).
If either rsyslog and/or udevd are killed, it has NO effect on the Firefox
problem, eg, 3.5.9 and earlier ALL execute and run with no detected errors,
all 3.6.x versions with M5/6 fail to execute after launch, eg, they start to
launch and promptly segfault. This occurs even if run with 'firefox --fail-
safe switches set as suggested. I did not open the original bug report so
others have had this exact bug with the same exact error message(s).

I wish I could see a pattern here. The error message reports a "line 128",
which INFERS a "script" of some kind being invoked, and the firefox -d gdm
dump refers thousands of times to everything BUT firefox (I put exerpts into
the bugreport) in the hopes that this might be the common link.

Richard