Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.3 M6 live CDs - bootup time comparison
  • From: Daniele <kailed@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 22:27:00 +0200
Il giovedì 06 maggio 2010, Stephan Kulow scrisse:
Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Rastislav Krupanský:
Long boot time in openSUSE it´s not surprising for me. I mentioned
a similar experience (but on real hardware, no in virtual machine)
in feature #308762: Remove Hal by default on opensuse 11.3.
So could you disable some of services also? Do you think, that
common users really need enabled something like avahi-daemon,
cifs, nfs, postfix, rpcbind, sshd, etc?
Advanced users can enable it additionaly, but me as a common
desktop user i don´t really need this services.
On my laptop, Ubuntu 10.04 starts only 8 services by default.

Ok, but we see in the above numbers that the difference between KDE
and GNOME is bigger than those between openSUSE and ubuntu. So I
would think that the gain by disabling sshd (which is disabled on
live cds btw) is smaller than by improving the desktops.
What about audit ? On a live media does not seem very useful, IMHO.

I did a quick test:
VBOX-3.1.6 on 11.2 32bit
kde-livecd-build-0589
Old athlon 2800XP 1GB RAM (550MB for VBOX).
From grub to a fully loaded kde desktop 5 (five) minutes :(
After this nothing works. Maybe I need to wait ten minutes to see some
reactions to right click on desktop :)
killed after one or two minutes..
Things become worst at each release :(

But feel free to build an adopted live cd and do some measurements.
Is there a way to do a sort of remastering without rebuilding the live
cd from zero ?

Bye.

--
*** Linux user # 198661 ---_ ICQ 33500725 ***
*** Home http://www.kailed.net ***