Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.3 M6 live CDs - bootup time comparison
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 14:24:19 +0200
Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Rastislav Krupanský:

Long boot time in openSUSE it´s not surprising for me. I mentioned a
similar experience (but on real hardware, no in virtual machine) in
feature #308762: Remove Hal by default on opensuse 11.3.
So could you disable some of services also? Do you think, that common
users really need enabled something like avahi-daemon, cifs, nfs,
postfix, rpcbind, sshd, etc?
Advanced users can enable it additionaly, but me as a common desktop
user i don´t really need this services.
On my laptop, Ubuntu 10.04 starts only 8 services by default.

Ok, but we see in the above numbers that the difference between KDE and GNOME
is bigger than those between openSUSE and ubuntu. So I would think that the
gain by disabling sshd (which is disabled on live cds btw) is smaller than by
improving the desktops.

But feel free to build an adopted live cd and do some measurements.

Greetings, Stephan