Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.3 M6 live CDs - bootup time comparison
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 09:49:26 +0200
Am Mittwoch 05 Mai 2010 schrieb Lenz Grimmer:
Hi,

granted, it's not a very sophisticated or scientificly relevant
observation, but I thought I'd share this with you, since the live CDs are
likely the first thing a new user is going to try out before he decides
which Linux distribution or desktop environment he'll choose.

I measured the times it takes the current 11.3 M6 live systems to boot up
in both VirtualBox (virtualbox-ose-3.1.4-106.2.i586) and qemu-kvm
(kvm-0.11.0-4.5.2.i586) on my Thinkpad T61 (Intel Core2 Duo T8300@xxxxxxx,
4GB RAM, running openSUSE 11.2, 32bit). I used the ISO images directly, no
CD-ROM drive is involved here.

I used a stop watch to measure the time from the point at which GRUB loads
the kernel until the desktop is usable and fully loaded. Both virtual
machines were configured to use 1GB of RAM. Out of curiosity, I also
included the latest Ubuntu 10.04 release for comparison. Can anybody
repeat my observation that the GNOME live-CD is much slower than the KDE
one? I would have actually expected it the other way around. What also
surprised me was the difference between VirtualBox and KVM.

Product Time (qemu-kvm) Time (virtualbox)
openSUSE-GNOME 11.3M6 0:02:17 0:03:45
openSUSE-KDE 11.3M6 0:01:40 0:02:50
kubuntu 10.04 (KDE) 0:01:35 0:01:59
ubuntu 10.04 (GNOME) 0:01:17 0:01:36

Anyway, I don't know if this is useful or if anybody actually cares about
this aspect. From a "first impression" perspective, anything above 2:30
minutes feels like a very long time, especially if there is no visual
feedback about what's going on - the GNOME bootup spends a lot of time in
displaying a black screen with a busy cursor...

You haven't booted a real live cd yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgukjvw08xk (it's real, you can download and
test it and I implemented some of the techniques used in clicfs).

Actually I do care for the boot time of the live cd, but as I'm the only one
caring for anything about the live cd, it only brings very little gain. But
the kubuntu live cds disable tons of services we do not disable, e.g. we're
still starting akondi ;(

Greetings, Stephan