[opensuse-factory] Filesystem corruption in M6
  • From: Jogchum Reitsma <j.reitsma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 21:48:02 +0200
Hi,

I think I met a serious file system corruption in M6. I was triggered by
the fact that an ftp session, after transferring some GB's, failed with
a message that it could not open a new file for writing. Plenty of
space, and access rights were OK, so I took a look at /var/log/messages,
and saw a few lines

EXT4-fs error (device md1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy: EXT4-fs: group 228:
1263 blocks in bitmap, 1266 in gd

Googling I found that this may or may not lead to file system
corruption, and I decided to reboot. fsck detected the file system to be
not clean, and found lots and lots of multiple block claims. I was
thrown at a root login prompt to do a manual fsck. Again lots of errors,
and after I had fsck repair them, found after booting up that for
example prefs.js in the thunderbird environment was totally corrupt.

The ext4 file system resides on a raid-5 device consisting of four disk
partitions, and was created with opensuse 11.2.

Backups helped me out, so nothing was lost here in the end, but this
doesn't enhance my trust in 11.3M6...