Re: [opensuse-factory] Status of Contrib
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 15:31:19 +0200
Michal Vyskocil wrote:
Having a package on a products means greater responsibility of course.

Yes and this is exactly why I asked if maintenance rules were not changed
(and
I did not catch that change somehow). The main reason why I have some
packages
in Contrib and not in Factory is because I don't want to take this level of
responsibility for maintenance. I'm willing to provide the "best effort", but
that's all from my side.

AFAICT the maintenance rules are documented here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Maintenance/Policy
I don't know how they came into existence but I'd assume that the
openSUSE maintenance team which consists of volunteers agreed on
those rules. Since most packages in Factory are more or less
maintained by volunteers "best effort" is all you can expect
anyways.

Those responsibilities are a result of user expectations on openSUSE.

With an existence of widely used (and many times recommended) BuildService
repositories - the situation changed a lot. I already agree with having
strict
rules for Factory, but as situation rapidly changed from old times, I also
see
the need for more let say - flexible, but no that supported repository. And
that's a Contrib in my eyes - but maybe I'm completely wrong.

Maybe the 'not that supported' property could be expressed
differently somehow, without a parallel world.

There's no excuse for avoiding Factory just to bypass openSUSE packaging
policy IMO.

Sorry did not understand, what/who avoiding the packaging policy and how?

Well, I don't watch Contrib so I can only judge from random samples.
dropbox for example is in contrib but was rejected for Factory
because it claims to be GPL while secretly downloading and executing
a binary only blob. Such a snaky package better shouldn't be in any
sane repo IMHO.
v8 lacks a .changes file. Minor issue, yet obvious.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel