Re: [opensuse-factory] Status of Contrib
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 14:04:29 +0200
On 05/03/2010 07:13 PM, Petr Uzel wrote:
On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 06:47:12PM +0200, Mariusz Fik wrote:

Dnia poniedziałek, 3 maja 2010 o 15:30:29 Petr Uzel napisał(a):

[...]

b) once Factory is open for new packages, find devel projects for all
packages in Contrib, move them there and send requests for inclusion
Factory

In general, I agree. But IMO this step should be done in cooperation
with individual maintainers, because:
1. We don't want to enforce maintainers to have their packages in
Factory against their will.

If _maintainer_ pushed some package to o:F:C, why he wouldn't like push it
factory?

I don't know of any reason why somebody wouldn't want to move his/her
package(s) from oS:F:C to Factory.

I would simply prefer if the maintainers _themselves_ found proper
devel project for their packages and sent the SRs for inclusion to
Factory.

Petr

--
Petr Uzel, openSUSE Boosters Team
IRC: ptr_uzl @ freenode

I moved lilypond to multimedia:apps and then on to factory because of my
pet package rosegarden4 but I also co maintain contrib bacula which
already has a devel project which links to contrib but I cannot test it
properly, that's up to the other maintainer and I wouldn't want to move
it to factory because I'm concentrating on matters mutimedia and bacula
is one hell of a package to even update, it's on 5.0.0 and 5.0.2 has
just been released, 5.0.1 wouldn't configure let alone build.
My opinion is contrib is a good single repository for users to get
packages that are not in the main repo, if only devel projects existed
for users to get such packages from they would end up with a list of
repositories a mile long,
If only one click installs are made without adding the repository, how
is the user to know when a new package is available.
openSUSE needs a non kde/gnome community repository and thats a good
role for contrib.
Regards
Dave P