Re: [opensuse-factory] Status of Contrib
  • From: Karsten König <remur@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 19:21:33 +0200
Am Montag, 3. Mai 2010 18:58:19 schrieb Daniel Fuhrmann:
Am Monday 03 May 2010 18:47:12 schrieb Mariusz Fik:
Dnia poniedziałek, 3 maja 2010 o 15:30:29 Petr Uzel napisał(a):
On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 02:12:42PM +0200, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
On 04/26/2010 11:13 AM, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Karsten König wrote:
I was wondering if there is a definite decision about how to go on
forward with the seperation of Contrib and mainline Factory.

If I remember correctly Contrib was the place to submit stuff to
as normal contributor to openSUSE, now Factory is open for
everybody to submit stuff, based on reputation, skills and
whatnot. So what's the future of Contrib now, this looks like a
limbo state to me.

Ack. Contrib doesn't make sense to me either.

It did make sense when each package in Factory had to have a
maintainer from Novell.

What I propose is the following:

a) branch o:F:C into o:11.3:C when Factory is branched into 11.3

b) once Factory is open for new packages, find devel projects for all
packages in Contrib, move them there and send requests for inclusion
Factory

In general, I agree. But IMO this step should be done in cooperation
with individual maintainers, because:
1. We don't want to enforce maintainers to have their packages in

Factory against their will.

If _maintainer_ pushed some package to o:F:C, why he wouldn't like push
it to factory?

2. That way we could identify abandoned packages (I fear there are

some in Contrib).

c) once B is finished, kill o:F:C and maintain only forked version of
Contrib (+properly communicate the changes so people will be aware
they can (and should) push their packages into Factory)

Petr

--
Petr Uzel, openSUSE Boosters Team
IRC: ptr_uzl @ freenode

For me, Pavol's idea is really good. Many more packages will be easily
available from one repository. And here is the end for some questions
like: "which repo does contain foo package? And bar package? Haw to add
it?"

Why not freeze contrib with the released version? If one need a newer
version he could still go to any buildservice package.

According to http://en.opensuse.org/Contrib that's already the case and how I
know it, I don't know if it is enforced but I guess so.

So you have only:
- official (non)-oss
and - contrib repo. And the aim has to be include as many packages as
possible to contrib and maybe keep factory/released oss-repo as small as
possible. So normal user has big choice with few repos.

I don't see the advantage of that despite Factory beeing very lean, as soon as
one activates Contrib he will tap into that huge reservoir and your idea looks
like propably everybody will be doing that.
I better like the idea of factory beeing a quality border where there are
stricter requirements, but that might lead to a huge Factory, which can be
seen as a success then.

This is my user pov.

Daniel

This is my user pov as well =)