Re: [opensuse-factory] Status of Contrib
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 09:36:22 -0400
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Petr Uzel <petr.uzel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 02:12:42PM +0200, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
On 04/26/2010 11:13 AM, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Karsten König wrote:
I was wondering if there is a definite decision about how to go on forward
with the seperation of Contrib and mainline Factory.

If I remember correctly Contrib was the place to submit stuff to as normal
contributor to openSUSE, now Factory is open for everybody to submit
stuff,
based on reputation, skills and whatnot. So what's the future of Contrib
now,
this looks like a limbo state to me.

Ack. Contrib doesn't make sense to me either.

It did make sense when each package in Factory had to have a maintainer
from Novell.

What I propose is the following:

a) branch o:F:C into o:11.3:C when Factory is branched into 11.3

b) once Factory is open for new packages, find devel projects for all
packages in Contrib, move them there and send requests for inclusion Factory

In general, I agree. But IMO this step should be done in cooperation
with individual maintainers, because:
1. We don't want to enforce maintainers to have their packages in
  Factory against their will.
2. That way we could identify abandoned packages (I fear there are
  some in Contrib).

c) once B is finished, kill o:F:C and maintain only forked version of
Contrib (+properly communicate the changes so people will be aware they
can (and should) push their packages into Factory)

Petr

I also thought packages could only be added to factory if there was
room on the DVD?

Or is that a separate decision? If so, how is it tracked?

Greg