Re: [opensuse-factory] Status M6
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:37:58 +0200
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:51:24AM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 02:26:27 +0200
Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Sure, that possible. BTW, we've patched the intel driver. So if KMS is
disabled on an intel machine, X silently falls back to fbdev.

But unless your machine really hangs up when loading the i915 driver with
KMS enabled, I'd really recommend using at least the i915 KMS framebuffer
and then using the fbdev X server on top of that (like discussed in
another branch of this mailthread), since i915 then does e.g. suspend
handling etc, which will probably work better than leaving that to vesafb
and s2ram userspace. Not even speaking of strange laptop panel resolutions
etc.

Good point. I fully agree with that. :-)

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany