Re: [opensuse-factory] Status M6
  • From: Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:18:00 +0200
On Friday 30 April 2010 02:26:27 Stefan Dirsch wrote:
So, AIUI the new Intel KMS driver is very badly behaving, but you can
disable it and use the old framebuffer driver.

Sure, that possible. BTW, we've patched the intel driver. So if KMS is
disabled on an intel machine, X silently falls back to fbdev.

Would it be possible to build the Xserver and intel drivers from 11.2 and then
to use the 2.6.34 kernel with the i915.modeset=0 ? As far as I understood
with the fbdev driver, desktop effects (Kwin, Compiz, etc) are not possible.
For a lot of people this could mean that 11.3 is not for them. I don't think
that we should offer owners of an intel graphic card a crippled desktop.