Re: [opensuse-factory] Factory install report
  • From: "Bernhard M. Wiedemann" <susefactory@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:12:51 +0200
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 03:17:51PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Dienstag 27 April 2010 schrieb Bernhard M. Wiedemann:

today were tested two new NET install .isos (0571,0572)
the x86_64 isos still failed early with a yast2/installer segfault
the NET-i586-Build0572 now already failed at kexec

Hi,

There is no point in testing the NET isos daily if you do not change the
download URL. You will test M5 every day. The NET iso only contains the
trigger to download factory-snapshot. If you boot the ISO, I think F5 changes
the download url and you need to change it to factory to test factory.

BTW: I found the issue with the live cds and I hope the next round will
boot again.

Gretings, Stephan

Good thing, you reminded me. I had code to change the address to factory, but
forgot to include it into these scripts.
Thus it is only natural that I hit the bugs from MS5.

Todays report includes one completely successful install of
openSUSE-NET-x86_64-Build0575 (now with factory)
http://www3.zq1.de/bernhard/mirror/opensuse/video/openSUSE-NET-x86_64-Build0575.ogv

and I had several later NET-installs (both i586 and x86_64) that got pretty
far, so might just be some network issue there.
It reproducibly stops after getting
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/factory/repo/oss/suse/i586/OpenOffice_org-calc-extensions-3.2.0.99.3-1.1.i586.rpm
(seen in squid/access.log)
Maybe it only happens with a proxy? Or only on that mirror? Will need more
research.

With the upcoming fixes on LiveCDs, this should give a pretty good overall.

Then there were some temporary problems captured at
http://www3.zq1.de/bernhard/mirror/opensuse/video/openSUSE-NET-x86_64-Build0574a.ogv
possibly because of the factory mirror syncing during my test.

I remember the debian mirror script
http://www.debian.org/mirror/anonftpsync
to first sync the package files (/pool) and only in a second step to update
everything, including meta-data with --delete-after. The approach on
http://en.opensuse.org/Mirror_Setup_Howto appears to only have one step... so
it could probably be improved in this regard.

However, one annoying thing remains:
that downloaded packages are not cached on my proxy (specified on boot-prompt).

The reason lies in the typical HTTP-requests used during installation which
include a "no-cache" part:

GET /pub/opensuse/factory/repo/oss/suse/i586/libgio-2_0-0-2.24.0-1.4.i586.rpm
HTTP/1.1
Pragma:

There is probably some zypper/aria2 config to change that behaviour
but I could not find anything in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf .
And googling was not helpful either.

At least aria2c --http-no-cache=false should help... but where could I add that
option?
http://en.opensuse.org/Libzypp/Failover tells that
ZYPP_ARIA2C=0
could be used, but I am not sure how to inject this environment variable into
the

grep HIT /var/log/squid/access.log showed
factory/repo/oss/boot/i386/ (common|root|cracklib-dict-full.rpm|bind|branding)
to be the only files over 1MB size served from cache.

Then I found, that squid does have a "reload-into-ims" (and a harder
"ignore-reload") option.
applied like this:
refresh_pattern \.rpm$ 99999999 100% 99999999 reload-into-ims
(added above the shipped refresh_pattern lines)

This caused more files to be used from cache (after checking server for
freshness).
Particularly large files (above 1MB) still do get a TCP_MISS - probably because
they are requested in chunks by aria2.

--
Bernhard M. Wiedemann
software engineer