Re: [opensuse-factory] Status of Contrib
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:13:25 +0200
Karsten König wrote:
I was wondering if there is a definite decision about how to go on forward
with the seperation of Contrib and mainline Factory.

If I remember correctly Contrib was the place to submit stuff to as normal
contributor to openSUSE, now Factory is open for everybody to submit stuff,
based on reputation, skills and whatnot. So what's the future of Contrib now,
this looks like a limbo state to me.

Ack. Contrib doesn't make sense to me either.

Also does openSUSE try to be as inclusive as debian now (everything in one
big
repository) or seperate atleast into Factory and Contrib?
Or even further with repositories like network:utilities, games, GNOME:Extra,
KDE:Community etc. which currently have a 'rolling release' way of life.

IMO everything useful should go to Factory to ensure at least basic
quality requirements such as adhering to openSUSE package
conventions, having proper licenses etc. If a package fails those
basic requirements it better shouldn't be put into some
semi-official repo either. To offer backports packages can be linked
from Factory easily. Also, Factory serves as kind of 'canonical'
package source which avoids independent copies.
If maintainability over the whole life time of an openSUSE release
is a concern then maybe not everything that enters Factory should
automatically be included in a release anymore.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel