Re: [opensuse-factory] Live install (LVM) broken in Factory?
  • From: John Beranek <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 00:26:09 +0100
On 22/04/2010 23:57, John Beranek wrote:
On 19/04/2010 23:27, John Beranek wrote:
On 19/04/2010 22:39, John Beranek wrote:
I downloaded the M5 Gnome Live CD in order to give it a go, and then
attempted to do a live install.

I chose an LVM partition setup, and at the point the installer attempted
to mount the root partition it failed, saying it had failed to mount
"/dev/system/root on /" (apologies I'm getting this from memory rather
than a log file).

I'm now trying an install from the Live CD using a partition-based
setup, and it appears to be working.

Well, working until the installer went to install the bootloader...at
this point it hung. I waited quite a while but nothing further happened
- I reset the VM and the resulting system was not bootable. :/

Weird, made some attempt to fix the botched live-install:

*) Booted the VM with System Rescue CD
*) Verified partitioning: looks fine
*) Mounted root partition, looked mostly fine, except the initrd hadn't
been created
*) Ran mkinitrd with no extra parameters - not sure if this is good
enough, especially with a VMware VM...
*) Ran grub-install with no parameters.

Still only get a blank screen at boot time if I let the VM boot from the
HDD.

What am I doing wrong? What else can I do on the rescue system to fix
the boot?

Aha, scratch that question - running "yast2 bootloader" and choosing
"Propose new configuration" and letting it do it's job has worked, yay!

John.

--
John Beranek To generalise is to be an idiot.
http://redux.org.uk/ -- William Blake

< Previous Next >