Re: [opensuse-factory] What is the plan for HAL in 11.3 - HAL or What?
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 14:11:19 +0200
On Thursday 22 of April 2010, David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys,

I've read several development threads about the security fundamentals of
the present HAL implementation and I have read that HAL is being completely
removed from the picture. (i.e. HAL free Xorg 1.8, etc...). The issue seems
to be some fundamental flaw in the present implementation and the argument
is whether it requires tossing the complete HAL stack or if a low level
redesign to remove the flaw can be done while preserving most of the
current way HAL works (the details of which pass well over my head)

But that does prompt the question: "What is opensuse doing in this
regard
and is there a plan to address it?"

I assume the plan is to do whatever the decision of upstream is.

What's the current line of thinking for 11.3?

There doesn't seem to be a viable HAL alternative for KDE in 11.3, so HAL is
needed for the time being.

--
Lubos Lunak
openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer