Re: [opensuse-factory] Stopping a module from loading with "BrokenModules="
  • From: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:50:09 -0500
On 04/20/2010 07:37 AM, Richard (MQ) wrote:
I recently filed a bug (#597299) regarding a problem with bluetooth /
WiFi module vt6655-stage crashing the kernel with an Oops during boot.
No response to the bug report yet (still at NEW, not assigned - I
imagine the team is very busy at the moment, so no surprise there).

So to try to debug this I thought I could use kernel parameter
"BrokenModules" to stop this module vt6655_stage.ko from loading.
However, none of "BrokenModules=vt6655", "BrokenModules=vt6655-stage"
and "BrokenModules=vt6655_stage" have any effect, the module still loads
and crashes the system. I can see this by using a serial console.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong / why it doesn't work?

BTW: it's not in the initrd (checked /etc/sysconfig/kernel & confirmed
by opening up the initrd with cpio to check). Renaming the module e,g,
to vt6655_stage_DONOTUSE.ko initially worked and phase 2 of the
installation ran, somehow it reinstated the module though and now it's
failing in exactly the same way. Now I really am stumped!

You need to blacklist it by doing the following (as root):

echo "blacklist vt6655_stage" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf

or use any text editor to add the stuff in "" to the end of the file.
That will keep the module from loading.

Bugs in the staging drivers have very low priority as they are the
vendor's driver with only enough modifications to get them to compile.
Some are quite good, but others are really bad. That is why you get the
warning message.

Thanks for posting the serial console dump. I think I spotted the reason
for the NULL pointer when wpa_init_wpadev() calls register_netdev(),
which then calls register_netdevice(). I have posted a trial patch in
the bugzilla entry. Please see if it helps.

Larry