[opensuse-factory] Stopping a module from loading with "BrokenModules="
  • From: "Richard (MQ)" <osl2008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:37:09 +0100
I recently filed a bug (#597299) regarding a problem with bluetooth /
WiFi module vt6655-stage crashing the kernel with an Oops during boot.
No response to the bug report yet (still at NEW, not assigned - I
imagine the team is very busy at the moment, so no surprise there).

So to try to debug this I thought I could use kernel parameter
"BrokenModules" to stop this module vt6655_stage.ko from loading.
However, none of "BrokenModules=vt6655", "BrokenModules=vt6655-stage"
and "BrokenModules=vt6655_stage" have any effect, the module still loads
and crashes the system. I can see this by using a serial console.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong / why it doesn't work?

BTW: it's not in the initrd (checked /etc/sysconfig/kernel & confirmed
by opening up the initrd with cpio to check). Renaming the module e,g,
to vt6655_stage_DONOTUSE.ko initially worked and phase 2 of the
installation ran, somehow it reinstated the module though and now it's
failing in exactly the same way. Now I really am stumped!

--
Cheers
Richard (MQ)