Re: [opensuse-factory] So noone can help?
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:59:56 -0500
On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 23:13 +0200, Christian wrote:
Hi,
OK, this is my last message to this list and noone seems to be willing to
help.
This is so simple for you opensuse user's. If logged out from Gnome, how many
times should one press the tab key in order to get to the login button or is
there some keyboard command for enabling this button?
And finally, where can I post suggestions so that they will be implemented in
some future release of the OS?
This is important, at least to me when it comes to accessibility.
Many thanks,
Christian

On 11.2 (don't have Factory set up yet), I have the following steps:
- Hit Enter (assuming your user is the first on the list) If not, then
arrow key down to the user you wish to log in as.
- Type password (hit enter)
- You're logged in.

Assuming there's nothing drastically different with the GDM login in
Factory vs. 11.2, this should work the same.

Now, about accessibility,

There are many challenges that openSUSE (as well as other distros) face
when it comes to ensuring accessibility. Most, if not all, of our
developers don't actually use accessibility tools and try their best
from an unknown perspective to meet the needs of accessibility. The
problem has been further compounded by the fact that we do not have many
accessibility users come forward to specifically test accessibility on
openSUSE as well as make recommendations for improvements.

I'm glad you've come forward and made yourself known as an accessibility
user and we need more like you to speak up and give constructive
feedback on what needs to be improved. I am also an accessibility user
and have low-vision. I've worked along with Stephen Shaw to raise
awareness and I'm very proud of our openSUSE-GNOME team for trying their
best to make it more effective despite the odds against them.

There has been some recent discussion by those of us (very few of us
exist!) about how we can make openSUSE even better as an accessible
distribution. I'd love for you to come forth and join us on this
discussion as we look into better ways to grow our accessibility
community within openSUSE.

It can be frustrating for you, as well as for me at times. But please
do know, that I vouch for the openSUSE developers in that they genuinely
DO care about accessibility but have limited resources to make it
perfect. Education and awareness will go a long way and we need more
people like you to speak up and make yourselves known. For example, I
didn't know about you until very recently. :-)

What will really help also is if we can learn about how you use
computing in an accessible way. Accessibility varies by user. For me,
I am a low vision user, and my method of usage is quite different than
that of a completely blind user, for example.

You are welcome to email me privately or to discuss your concerns about
approaches to accessibility or if you wish to start a thread on
accessibility, the better place to do that is probably on our Project
mailing list as that will get even more people aware of the issues, not
just the developers and testers in factory.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member (and accessibility user!)
openSUSE Marketing Team Lead
GNOME Accessibility Team Outreach