Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-gnome] GTK interface of software installer in YaST [yast2-gtk] in Factory
  • From: Karsten König <remur@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:23:15 +0200
Am Mittwoch, 14. April 2010 17:15:36 schrieb Jakub Rusinek:
Dnia 14-04-2010 o 16:57:47 Stefan Seyfried

<stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał(a):
Please don't. The GTK one was completely unusable for me the last time
I tried it accidentally (a year ago?).

So maybe it's just two different philosophies (I also dislike the GNOME
filepicker, although I have to admit that it has lost some of its
unusability over the last few years ;) and two different pieces of
software to implement that.

If the YaST2 QT software install module gets as crippled as the GTK
one, then we might as well just drop it. Because then, zypper is the
only way to install software.

There might be a very slim chance that the GTK frontend has gotten a
bit more usable in the last year, but since M5 is uninstallable, I
cannot test it right now.

I'm trying to understand how can you like Qt interface, but I guess I
can't (; .

Taste differs, I can't stand some gnome dialogs either, anyways not the point

I really like clear separation of available, upgrades and installed
packages. I dislike the filters. Powerful and quick search is enough for
me.

I only wonder why SUSE's rebuilding each package so many times if there's
no changes inside? Waste of oBS resources. But it's not financed by me ^^ .

Whenever a dependency changes a rebuild is triggered, there are mechanisms to
try analyze the output (if it did change at all) so no update is required,
though I think it is only active on openSUSE:Factory

And yeah, basicly the horsepower is there so why not =)