Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-gnome] GTK interface of software installer in YaST [yast2-gtk] in Factory
  • From: Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:57:47 +0200
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:34:33 +0200
"Jakub Rusinek" <jakub.rusinek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Od: "Jakub Rusinek" <jakub.rusinek@xxxxxxxxx>
Do: opensuse-gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Kopia dla:
Temat: Re: [opensuse-gnome] GTK interface of software installer in YaST
[yast2-gtk] in Factory
Data: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:33:14 +0200

Hi,

when it comes to YaST, as somebody might listen to me right now, I'd like
to say I have YaST QT software management interface. Completely unsuable,
machine friendly and so 1990...

YaST-GTK has a lot better interface and is really friendly.

Just for feature-parity and usability-parity I'd like to see Qt one be
comparable to GTK one (identical, I guess).

Please don't. The GTK one was completely unusable for me the last time
I tried it accidentally (a year ago?).

So maybe it's just two different philosophies (I also dislike the GNOME
filepicker, although I have to admit that it has lost some of its
unusability over the last few years ;) and two different pieces of
software to implement that.

If the YaST2 QT software install module gets as crippled as the GTK
one, then we might as well just drop it. Because then, zypper is the
only way to install software.

There might be a very slim chance that the GTK frontend has gotten a
bit more usable in the last year, but since M5 is uninstallable, I
cannot test it right now.

--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"