Re: [opensuse-factory] new package: crawl
  • From: Sascha Peilicke <sasch.pe@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:45:43 +0200
On Wednesday 07 April 2010 09:09:03 you wrote:
On 4/6/2010 at 18:45, Sascha Peilicke <sasch.pe@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 01 April 2010 17:30:01 Pavol Rusnak wrote:
On 03/31/2010 05:22 PM, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
To forward your package to the games repo / have the package reviewed,
you can use osc sr home:saschpe crawl-sdl games

Give a short description and anything you think is special to know.

Already in "games" repo. Thanks!

PS: I cleaned the spec file a bit, so it might be broken these days.
Should be fixed once I'm done.

Thanks for breaking the SPEC file without asking or even testing. Crawl
is very similar to Nethack and thus it _has_ to install junk into some
odd places. I'm not fully aware of OBS commit policies but osc commit
log messages
like "fix" don't really help reverting that nonsense either.

don't worry, every single commit is trackable.. it's a VCS after all.

For the one marked as 'fix' for example you can have a look at:
osc log games crawl (which gives you a small overview with commit messages,
finding the one you're interested in... the one marked 'fix' for example
is revision 4.

so you can issue
osc rdiff games crawl -r4

and this will give you the exact changes applied.

Using 'osc checkout -r 4' you can even checkout exactly this specific
version. Thus it should be able to track down the missing pieces and
parts.
Thanks for all those hints. My rant was less about the features of osc (which
is simply a great tool) but more about commit policy.

As for the actions done by Pavol: I'm sure there are best intentions. Maybe
in this case the 'commit early / commit often' was not the approach
appreciated by you and you would have preferred a full change of the spec
before commit. But then: he could as well just have rejected it with
comments and have you fix it all according to the requirements (which are
much more relaxed in the games repo than in openSUSE:Factory for example).
Agreed, my initial reaction was a bit to harsh and the package is now building
again (after some corrections). Nonetheless, I think the latter would have
been the way to go. It is easier to learn from own errors than from errors
that others make. I.e. a new packagers errors should be shown/explained to him
instead of silently correcting them. However, this seems to be a time-costly
process.

I hope nevertheless this won't scare you off and we will continue seeing a
lot of your contributions.
Don't worry, it won't :-) My excuses for the rough tone.
--
Sascha Peilicke
http://saschpe.wordpress.com