Re: [opensuse-factory] Coordinated upgrade to jack2 for FACTORY / 11.3
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 07:22:47 +0200
On 04/06/2010 03:49 AM, Sid Boyce wrote:
On 05/04/10 18:09, Takashi Iwai wrote:

Hi,

I got a contact from Debian Multimedia team about the possibility of
coordinated upgrade of JACK package from version 1 to version 2 on
SUSE. That is, major distros, Debian, Ubuntu, and others will upgrade
the package for jack simultaneously in order to avoid confusion among
distros.

From the technical viewpoint, there shouldn't be big obstacles for
us -- JACK2 is ABI compatible with JACK1, and it's being used already
on Packman repo, IIRC. I think Dave already has managed jack2 stuff
in his repo for some time, too. Thus the movement should be
relatively simple.

But, my question here is whether this is allowed now for FACTORY /
11.3 at this moment. I know this kind of thing should have been
handled through FATE. But if we do this, it should be done quickly in
a timely manner. So, I'm asking just here for a quick decision.

Comments appreciated.

thanks,

Takashi

One of my SDR programs (sdr-shell) has needed jack2 for quite a while
now and I have been building and using it locally from svn using waf.
Something in Milestone 4 causes it to fail, probably an option problem
which I am currently trying to track down.
I for one would welcome its inclusion.
# jackd --version

snip
Aborted
Regards
Sid.

I have a fully functional jack2 ready for submission it's a drop in
replacement for the existing jack. I was originally going to submit it
as an update for jack but I've put it in multimedia:libs. There's a
"|shared-lib-calls-exit" rpmlint error I must fix before submission to
factory.
Regards
Dave P