Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:59:39 +0100
On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:04:52PM +0100, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
nomodeset will prevent KMS from being activated it will not prevent the
driver
from being loaded. Two different things.
I would think what I suggested above will also work universally and doesn't
involve tedious line parsing in menu.lst.

I agree. So the approach for the proprietary drivers is to ship a modprobe.d
file blacklisting the opensource DRm modules to prevent them being loaded and
added to initrd.

Implemented for SUSE/Novell's KMP packages
(nvidia-gfx{,G01,G02}/ati-fglrxG0{1,2}) and fglrx upstream SUSE/Novell scripts.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany